Perhaps the worst kind of home intruder is the silent, undetectable one that enters regardless of how many and how strong your locks are, and can kill you while you sleep. Carbon monoxide is a dangerous and deadly poisonous gas that has claimed the lives of many people, including entire families.
You can protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning by following a few preventative steps:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home near sleeping areas, and check them regularly
- Only use generators outside
- Have your chimney inspected to ensure proper ventilation
- Use gas and charcoal grills outside; never indoors
- Do not use a gas stove or range for heating your home
- Do not leave your car running in your garage, even with the doors or windows open
Knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can save lives. Here are some of the common symptoms:
In more extreme cases of poisoning, symptoms can include:
- Loss of muscle control and coordination
- Mental confusion
- Eventually death
If you believe you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, get to fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off appliances, and get out of your house. Get to an emergency room as fast as possible. Protecting your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning only requires a few simple steps that could potentially save your lives. To learn more about how to protect your family, click here to contact the professionals at Best Insurance Services.photo credit: System Sensor Recalls Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors via photopin (license)
There are no comments yet.