Everyone knows to install smoke detectors to prevent fires, and to lock doors to prevent break-ins - but are there potential other dangers in your home? Here are a few that you may need to prepare yourself for better.
It’s just as important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home as it is to have a smoke detector. Carbon monoxide detectors can sense what you can’t see, and prevent severe illness and even death. It occurs when an organic fuel is burned without proper ventilation, which can happen with household items like kerosene and gas space heaters, gas water heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, automobile exhaust, and tobacco smoke.
Salmonella and E.Coli
Salmonella and E. Coli are easier to prevent than installing a detector. The only way you can get it is if you ingest raw foods, from meats and eggs to even fruits and vegetables. The best way to avoid it is to wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling the raw food. Don’t let the utensils and dishes for raw food touch anything else, and wash it thoroughly before using it again.
You expect mold to show up in areas with a lot of moisture present, but sometimes it can surprise you. Mold will lead to nasal and sinus congestion, chronic cough, and eye irritation, so it’s important to get rid of it fast. If it’s a small enough area to do it yourself, use dishwashing soap and water to scrub it off, and be sure to cover your hands, arms, eyes, and mouth to avoid any contact with spores.
These dangers in the home can be scary but if you take the appropriate measures to prevent them, you should have nothing to worry about.
There are no comments yet.